Re: RARA-AVIS: Boys & Reading

From: mhall@berkeley.edu
Date: 29 Jul 2009

    > Belatedly weighing in on this topic...

    I'll chime in late too (but then I usually lurk on this list).

    > At least one (male) reply to this topic has mentioned the importance of
    > the cover in deciding whether or not to open a book.

    For those of us who are Robert E. Howard fans, this is the one thing that gets thrashed out on the REH lists--the ancer paperback series with the Frazetta covers. Looking back on it, I gotta admit, my discovery of Howard and Burroughs occurred while Frazetta and Neal Adams were doing paperback covers. At least with these two artists, they managed to capture the action and adventure in the books with the art. Some of the 1990s ERb covers, ungh--do you really expect somebody to read this stuff with covers like these. (And yes, I got snookered on some titles that had Frazetta and Jeff Jones covers that were at best weak imitations of REH and ERB.)

    More later, MEH