Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Boys & Reading

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 29 Jul 2009

    Well, my young adult years are so far back I've been having difficulty remembering what I read, let alone what made an impression on me in those olden days. I do remember digging into some Russian political histories, make of that what you will. What knocked me out was reading Faulkner's "The Reivers" and this was well before the movie came out, which I enjoyed as well. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Twain. Don't think I read Huck Finn until university, but Tom Sawyer got a good going over. Not noir or hardboil but definitely things not as they appear or were supposed to be. Stevenson's "Treasure Island" and maybe "Kidnapped." There's crime there. About the only school-assigned book that I can remember, other than the familiar Shakespeare (R&J, Macbeth, Hamlet, Shylock, Caesar) is Dickins' "Tale of Two Cities." Must have liked it or I wouldn't have remembered it.

    But I easily recall Wicked Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Sam & Dave, The Temps, The Tops, The Turtles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Booker T & the MGs, even "Little" Stevie Wonder (Fingertips pt.1&2) like lunch (tomato sandwich on whole wheat.)

    Clap your hands just a little bit louder, Kerry