RARA-AVIS: Re: Motel noir...

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2009

    Al wrote:

    > Here's a short clip of Vlautin reading from The Motel Life.
    > Lyrically sparse
    > noir indeed.
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iih2SSk6HXQ&NR=1
    >
    > I seem to recall hearing that some of the characters from the songs
    > also
    > appear in the books, but I may be wrong about that.

    I think some of them are both songs and short stories, although I'm not sure which comes first.

    Steve Earle also wrote a collection of short stories, DOGHOUSE ROSES, some of which involve crime, and a few which feature a very pulp fictiony vibe. Hell, toss in a backwoods nymphette and his song
    "Copperhead Road" would make a dandy HardCaseCrime-style book. Despite the references to Vietnam and the DEA, it has a real Robert Mitchum, 1950s Gold Medal vibe.

    At least in the movie that plays in my head every time I hear it.

    Kevin Burton Smith I blog; therefore I am. http://thrillingdetectiveblog.blogspot.com