Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: future noir?

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Jul 2009

    Are you being ironic...?

    The reality is that whatever shades of noir still exist ...and they are multiple and shifting all the time...noir is doing a fantastic businees around the world, both in books and in movies, including Tv shows...and of course fashion, music and art...In other words noir aesthetics are a prevalent trend and the recuperation by the media at large (including book publications of course) of those aesthetics has been a dominant force in branding and advertising...This has created abominations in the eyes of purists, and wonderful and innovative productions alike... Iım appaled at times by the power of the regurgitating media machine and Iım equally mesmerized at other times... I know that if I simply mention Sin City (graphic novel and film especially) on this discussion group, guns will start blazing from all kind of different angles...but for me the magic of that film is as powerful as Le Samouraï...or some Kitano films...so...???

    I think that the future of noir is bright, shiny and positively humid...almost tropical...

    Montois