Re: RARA-AVIS: Nag, Nag, Nag Noir

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 23 Jul 2009

    I like Serenade quite a bit. I'd probably put it alongside the two classics. I like The Butterfly too but didn't find it remotely repellent -- I was expecting repellent and got some kind of apology instead. Which'll teach me to have expectations.

    I'm not sure when writers first started thinking of themselves as 'noir', but I wouldn't imagine it was very long ago. I'd be very interested in finding out when the term came to be in general use in relation to fiction, if anyone has any information on that. Hardboiled is a different story. And Cain's intro to The Butterfly states pretty clearly how he thought of himself in that regard: "I belong to no school, hardboiled or otherwise, and I believe those schools exist mainly in the imagination of critics." He goes on to give critics ("those surrogates for God") quite a roasting for, among other things, "pasting labels wherever convenience is served."

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "jacquesdebierue" <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com>