Re: RARA-AVIS: Nag, Nag, Nag Noir

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

    > Try Love's Lovely Counterfeit.

    That one is really bad.

    > Cain had a lot of trouble publishing despite his early successes. I can't
    > recall how many novels he left behind unpublished, but there are a few.

    He never wrote anything as good as the two classics. He did write a fascinating and repellent short novel called _The Butterfly_, and Mildred Pierce is a wonderful potboiler (not a crime novel). I've read almost all his stuff and got the impression that he was very uneven. I am not sure that he thought of himself as a noir writer or even a crime writer.

    mrt