RARA-AVIS: Re:Motel noir...

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, jean-pierre jacquet <jacquet@...> wrote:

    > A digression from motels noirs, but in line with noir transient
    > dwellers: "Hotel du Nord", the Marcel Carné 1938 classic movie,
    > complete with doomed lovers, cynical pimps and whores.
    > jpj

    Great movie. Carné did have a poetic noir sensibility. Le jour se lève is probably my favorite example. I notice, with astonishment, that many of the greatest French directors from that era are today virtually unknown in the US -- Carné included. This is ironic, in the age of Netflix. Polish cinema is in a similar situation, despite being more available than ever if you look in the right places.

    mrt