Re: RARA-AVIS: Ross Macdonald: Lew Archer & adopted sons

From: sandra seamans (sandraseamans@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Jul 2009

    I'm reading "Black Money" and while Archer doesn't try to father the young man who's hired him he does give him some fatherly advice and tries to help him when he finds the boy's own father dislikes his son and blames him for his wife's death during childbirth.  Here's a quote from the book.  "I think in my nighttime loneliness I'd fathered an imaginary son, a poor fat foolish son who ate his sorrow instead of drinking it."  That's in chapter 31 near the end of the book.
      Sandra