Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 09 Feb 2007

I'm with Richard. Chandler fans were not a force to be reconned with in 1973. In fact, hadn't Chandler just recently come back into print? I read my first Raymond Chandler in late 1973 or early 1974, a movie tie-in copy of Long Goodbye. I had read most or all of the other recent Avon paperbacks by the time I saw the movie a year or two later at a college repertory theater. And those books weren't that easy to find at the time; I had to go to a used bookstoe that specialized in mysteries for most of them. So Altman probably had far more name recognition with moviegoers than Chandler in 1973.

Mark