RARA-AVIS: The Knockout Project

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 04 May 2004

A classic scene we've all read many times is when the hero gets hit on the head and knocked out. In real life, this can kill you, or give you a concussion, or at least make you throw up. In most books, it makes a black void open up in front of you and you fall in soundlessly, and then you wake up half an hour later with a headache.

I propose that as we come across such scenes, we note them and quote a brief snippet of text to show it. Here's one from Howard Browne's HALO IN BLOOD (1946):

| Something came down on the back of my head. It couldn't have been
| the Queen Mary's anchor; there wasn't enough water around.
| I dived into a shoreless sea of black ink, pulled folds of black
| velvet over my head and burrowed into a coal pile.
| I was out.

I'll keep track of them. I expect that the worse the writer, the more amusing the description. In a couple of years we should have a nice collection of words meaning "black" and "unconsciousness."

Bill