RARA-AVIS: Authors recommended by authors

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 25 Sep 2003

On his website (www.ianrankin.net), Ian Rankin, asked about writers he most admires in the genre, says:

"There are lots: all the Scots, most Americans with 'James' as their first name (Ellroy, Lee Burke, Crumley...), Mike Connelly and George Pelecanos, Lawrence Block... plus the likes of Reg Hill, PD James, Ruth Rendell. Rendell is probably the crime writer's crime writer: endlessly inventive, cunning, sharply analytical, a born storyteller. I've been flattered recently by other writers naming me among their favourites (Ed McBain and Beryl Bainbridge, no less!)."

Since I agree with him pretty well on this list, I'd be likely to read anyone else he recommends.

Karin