Travis Mc Gee (was: RARA-AVIS: The Moving Target)

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 02 Apr 2001

: "Juri Nummelin" defiantly stated,.

> I have had problems with his characters who seem to be eccentric only
> for eccentricity's sake (McGee's partner, whatever his name is, McGee's
> strange and peculiar habits (I just hate his Rolls Royce turned into a
> pick-up)), with his language that is forcedly relaxed and with his
> dialogue that is filled up with long monologues about life, politics and
> none-too-bright wisdom. MacDonald babbles. That's the main problem.
>
> So shoot me.
>
>Juri,
For the most part I agree with you. I don't mind Myer especially, but dislike the attitude, and especially, the editorializing. How about the plots being so similar? Even when the book seems finished you know his lady love de jour will be suddenly killed or put in danger. This leads to a climax not integral to the book. They seem just added on.

I can just hear his editor saying, " John(In later years Mr McDonald), this seems a little short and doesn't end with a real bang that will make people will want to buy the next in the series. Do you think you could add a chapter or two that will put people on the edge of their seats so they will clamor for the next colorful book?"

Hey, it worked for me. I read them all even though I disliked a lot of the baggage that came with them.. Mark.