Re: RARA-AVIS: Vachss (was L. Block, filler, etc.)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:50:45 -0500 Lawrence R. (Dick) Tartow, M.D. wrote:

> Anyone here familiar with Andrew Vachss? He is to crime involving child
> abuse what Ellroy is to murdered women. And he inhabits a New York
> quite different from Block's.
> Actually Bernie Rhodenbarr's New York bears little resemblance to Matt
> Scudders, although both are very real.
>
> --
> Dick Tartow
>
> #

I've asked that question before, I personally like Vachss and used his
writing style as a pattern to read aloud at a "writer's group" as an
example of "style". Vachss's New York is very different from Block's at
all. I was not fond of DOWN AT THE ZERO but the newest SAFE HOUSE is a
gem and back to his "old" style. It's about violence to women (and I
thought it was interesting in this book that Vashss again mentions that
Burke, his protagonist, got his eye injured in Biafra--which is where
Vachss got the reason behind his eye-patch). Vachss is sort of hard to
read (even harder that Ellroy) because it deals so directly with a pure
anti-hero (after all who can sympathsize with a character who runs
around in a van killing folks?) but Burke does remind me of the old
comic book characters of the '50's).

--
whose DOROTHYL nom is Kate Warne the ex-Pinkerton in
The Woman With the Rose Tattoo by Mari Hall