RARA-AVIS: Tiger Noir

From: Frederick Zackel (fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 03 Dec 2009

    (Huh. Sounds like a book title.)

    Now that Tiger has proved he really is "just one of the guys," let me bring up the noir angle of this media circus. Oh yeah I know the atmosphere is more carnival than most noir stories, and maybe there won't be bloodshed and bullets flying this time, but there are common elements.

    See, I believe one major aspect of noir is the sexual side: that a noir guy thinks with his ... willie wonka. After all, a guy, like Archer, would follow her up the alley licking his lips, and Spade KNOWS he'd of done nothing differently than his partner. That's why Spade never ever trusted Brigit. (The Flitcraft parable is about guys can't stop thinking with their willie wonkas.)

    The most important part of these Clinton-Letterman-Woods stories is not that these guys thought with their willie wonkas. Not that they thought they could get away with it, either.

    The most important part is that they thought they could trust the Other Woman.

    "My life would have been so different if I hadn't taken off my underwear." ~ Eamon Casey, the former Archbishop of Galway.