RARA-AVIS: Re: interface by joe gores

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Nov 2009

    Nathan,

    Re your comments below:

    "I bought a first edition in very fine condition, and promised myself I was going to be very careful reading it. I ended up turning pages so fast I tore one of them, which I imagine will hurt its resale value, but oh well. It was a helluva ride, and I don't sell my books. The sort of thing Gores did in Interface is very hard to pull off well, and he nailed it."

    Absolutely! One of the all-time best private eye novels EVER.

    If Gores's DKA series is his equivalent of Hammett's Continental Op series, then INTERFACE, with its rigorously objective third person narration, its shady protagonist, and its surprise climax, is his MALTESE FALCON.

    JIM DOHERTY