RARA-AVIS: Re: state of NY publishing

From: davezeltserman (Dave.Zeltserman@gmail.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2009

    When I wrote In His Shadow (what later became Fast Lane) back in '92, editors at the large houses accepted query letters from writers, and I had a good number of the editors I contacted request the book. In '97 when I wrote Bad Thoughts, the door had been closed shut, and you had to go through a middleman (editors). The reason for this was the cheap PC, and editors were being flooded with submissions. I suspect the same has happened with bookstores because of POD publishing. In the past new small presses could probably contact bookstores and have them consider stocking their books. Now because of the flood of POD books I'm guessing bookstores are shutting themselves off to anyone other than distributors and publishers they have relationships with. This isn't entirely a guess--I can see the wariness in bookstore employees faces when I tell them I'm an author, and it only goes away when I tell them who's publishing me.

    I doubt POD is hurting existing authors since those books aren't going to show up in bookstores (or only rarely). But I also don't think it's an enabling technology or one that is good for authors in general since these POD books--no matter how sincere the publisher might be or how high quality and interesting some of these books might turn out--will mostly end up only on online stores and sell usually between 20-200 copies. And while may some authors aspire to that, I doubt too many do.

    --Dave