RARA-AVIS: Re: Kindles and e-books in general

From: dermdocsx2 (dermdocsx2@cox.net)
Date: 06 Nov 2009

    As a person who has read and collected many books for many years and who currently owns and enjoys a Kindle, I thought I would respond to this thread.

    I think the best response was from one person who asked does it need to be an either/or situation. I have been reading mysteries/hardboiled material for almost 30 years and have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars in that time at chain bookstores, independent bookstores, and used bookstores. I have collected many first edition hardcovers as well as lots of PBOs of the Gold Medal era and I love them all. But, frankly, I am running out of space and find many of the books I buy not worth keeping. Hence, the Kindle purchase, also out of curiosity.

    I have downloaded some of the old Chandlers and Hammetts and enjoyed them while waiting for a plane. I continue to frequent independent booksellers in my area as well as some of the chains. I would say my purchases go about 70% books/30% digital and I don't feel bad about either one. Barbara Peters, who owns the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scotssdale, AZ said that if a person bought one hardcover or two PBs from their independent bookseller each month, that could help stave off the demise of these booksellers. I have been doing that as well as enjoying other books, digital and oldfashioned print. In fact, I bought a limited edition hardcover of Otto Penzler's new book The Lineup, signed by each contributing author, from the Poisoned Pen; a pretty penny but a book well worth it.

    I enjoy books, no doubt. But I also am seeing the advantage, both covnenience and space-wise, of having a Kindle. My hope is that other book lovers will continue to enjoy bookreading while doing what they can to support the old while not shunning the new. I also grew up with newspapers. I have subscribed to the LA Times for 22 years and watched it go from a half a phone book thick bundle for 25 cents to a magazine thick pad for 75 cents. I will try to support it as long as I can because I love to read a newspaper and not get my news from online. I have also watched travel agents disappear, replaced by the internet. And my sister had to retire from the US Postal Service this month because of decreasing revenue, due to the internet and online commerce and email. These are advances of the future as well. For books, we can try to support what we can for as long as we can. Thanks for listening.

    Patrick Lee