RARA-AVIS: Re: "Inherent Vice" and Other Pynchon novels

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2009

    Kevin, you're handicapped by the constant suspicion that people are poseurs, that they don't tell the truth about what they like and dislike. I don't think that's true on Rara-Avis. At least, I have never noticed it.

    Also, from some comments you made, including a derogatory comment about me, you seem to think that this is a writing forum -- it is not, it is a conversation forum. I don't do writing here, and from what I can see, neither do the other participants. They participate in a conversation. It's ephemeral by nature and nobody should be held to "positions".

    About Pynchon, it makes sense to talk about each book separately. Mason & Dixon and Inherent Vice have little to do with each other, for example. I think the former is a masterpiece and the latter an uninspired work. I don't have (and I don't have to have) a "position" on Pynchon. I just read him.

    mrt