Re: RARA-AVIS: Boys & Reading

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2009

    Well Patrick I fear that is the crux of it. In our day reading had a glamour, a promise of powerful, even forbidden, thrills that simply cannot be matched by today's books for today's young people, especially boys.  In Hardboiled America Geoffrey O'Brien describes a lurid-covered paperback placed beyond his youthful reach as blazing 'like a fire someone has forgotten to extinguish". I fear prose began to lose that flaming allure when the video cassette appeared. Now, with those thrills obtained so much more quickly and easily, and with such interactive immediacy, through film, DVD, the net, and especially video games, perhaps it is not such a surprise that prose is a hard sell to youth.
      John