Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Nag, Nag, Nag Noir

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 23 Jul 2009

    From: "JIM DOHERTY" <jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com>
    > However, I suspect you're talking about COMMON use of the term in English.

    Yes, I wasn't very clear. I meant at what point was the term applied to fiction to the extent that a novelist could set out to write what most of us
    (you excepted, Jim, of course) would think of as a 'noir' novel.

    <<The use of the term "noir" to describe a type or style of prose crime fiction seems to have followed the widespread acceptance of the term to describe a type or style of crime film.>>

    That sounds highly likely to me but I'd love to see some hard evidence. It'd be great to pin down the very early instances of the label as applied to crime fiction (outside of La Serie Noire).

    Al