Re: RARA-AVIS: Nag, Nag, Nag Noir

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 22 Jul 2009

    Kerry wrote:
    << At the same time, I think this points to one of the areas where noir has gone that has been summarily dismissed, and that is post-modernism. The stylistic flourishes that are so often denigrated here as self-indulgent and over-clever are intended to point out, I believe, the increasingly pervasive influence of ever-expanding media. Kevin's reading list is just one example of this, and it's not new. The mean streets, whether published in ink or concrete, are entirely cultural constructs. Media reports affect human behaviour which is reported by the media in endless cycles, and has since stories went around campfires. Human existence is so far beyond any context for objective reality that references to the "real world" merely draw attention to that fact. One way or another a narrative has to reflect this for it's characters to be recognizeable.>>

    Well said. All narratives are explorations in hyperreality. We can suspend our disbelief, or we can accept the fact. Realism has been dominant in fiction for some time, but I'd hate to think that there's no room for anything else. Especially since I've not got much of a handle on realism. Or reality, come to that.

    Al