Re: RARA-AVIS: Song Noir

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 17 Jul 2009

    Funny you would mention him: a personal hero that I have seen live about 25 times throughout the years, as recently as last fall in Chicago...and who scripted the majestic noir aussie western The Proposition... We could say a lot about his whole output sine the late 70¹s...but if some are interested into links between crime stories/noir and music there they can investigate also artists such as: Crime & City Solution, Gun Club, PJ Harvey, Dirty Three, 16 Horsepower, Johnny Cash, Tindersticks, Einsturzende Neubauten, and french bands like Noir Désir, Starshooter, Asphalt Jungle...etc...the links are numerous and I only scratched the surface here of course since I only referred to alt./punk/goth/alt-country....music genres but there are also obvious links and references (both ways) with the whole Blue Note jazz catalog for example...see Round Midnight (86) of Bertrand Tavernier...

    Montois