Re: Re : RARA-AVIS: Motel Noir

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Jul 2009

    Your quote: ŗ.....Actually, Norman Bates is Nothing But existential crisis.....˛

    If you re-read what I said, that is NOT the point...whatever crisis hešs in, whatever disfunction hešs knocked up in...it never changes, hešs the same from start to finish...that, precisely that, is the point...as far as his character in the film is concerned ...in other words the way by which hešs questionning himself (and we could have another whole debate about that..!) never goes through any shift, any digression, bend...in other words..hešs f-------p solid and we (the viewer) get only to learn why ... Look, Perry Smith (aka Robert Blake), as a film character, goes through more phases in 1:30mns than Bates in Psycho...and that does nort diminish at all the Perkins performance ...iotšs just Œsomething elseš.... Donšt know about the book...and donšt know either if you are talking about the book or the celluloid...so maybe our argumentation is totally pointless...

    By the way for all of you noir-rockers out there, I remind you of the noir film exercise done by 80šs Britt band called The Hitmen called gloriously
    ŗBates Motel˛...for those of you in the US you must have seen the video where Bates meets Maltese Falcon, with every noir-fim cliché mixed-in...glorious early MTV video and glorious song...check that You Tube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBDcfLH_b0
    ...and then Todd, you will say happily that Bates is noir...and Išll dance to that...
    ...the funny thing is I still possess the Hitmen single, bought at record store (long gone) in Ann Arbor, after I saw the band here...opening for Midnight Oil I trust...

    ..I switch now to red wine...so Išll talk rara maņana...

    montois