Re: RARA-AVIS: "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Sean Shapiro <ssshapir@...> wrote:

    > I know. Like I said I have nothing against McCarthy.
    >
    > What Heller is writing is satire. Satire is cruel. It's also horrendously unfair.
    >
    > See also: http://www.seattleweekly.com/2000-05-31/arts/slab-rat/ for the kind of thing Heller is satirising.
    >
    > There is also a lot of self-mocking in the book.

    I like satire, but if the guy manufactures "the decline of American prose" out of whole cloth... it's not very promising. Good satire is close enough to the truth that it seems both real and savage. I can't even begin to identify with the "reader" in this manifesto. Maybe I'm out of touch, but this stuff doesn't resonate with me at all. It reads like television.

    Best,

    mrt