Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Motel noir...

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 14 Jul 2009

    One more: THE MOTEL LIFE by Willy Vlautin. As good a debut as I've read since Donald Ray Pollock's KNOCKEMSTIFF. Vlautin's the polar opposite of McCarthy, simple prose, language that never transcends the vocabulary of the narrator. It's not sold as noir (I don't think -- I don't pay much attention to marketing labels) but I suspect if you like noir you'll get on pretty well with it. Might be just a bit elliptical for the more conservative reader but I quite enjoyed the digressions (the protagonist likes to make up stories throughout to entertain his brother).

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Clinton" <clinton65@comcast.net> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re:Motel noir...