RARA-AVIS: Re: "Blood Meridian," possible movie

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jul 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > After some research, I have learned that Ridley Scott backed out of the project with the opinion that the only way the film could work is as NC-17, if filmed as the book, and would show violence as pornography. (Paraphrased, but close.)

    That is a shame. They should have given it to Roman Polanski in the first place. At some point, McCarthy came to the conclusion that what dominates in American society is violence. Or maybe (in fact, likely) he had reached the conclusion and just started showing it in vivid form. You can't be bound by ratings when filming such a masterpiece. It's almost like asking for failure. Give it to Polanski, who learned the lesson in the ghetto and is not squeamish about showing violence and extreme fear (or anything, for that matter). If the movie is not really scary, it won't be good.

    Best,

    mrt