RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Westerns-Best Sheriff (was "cowboy vs private eye")

From: Shannon Clute (clute@noircast.net)
Date: 12 Jul 2009

    I want to second John's request. In fact, he asked the question I actually meant to. I'm looking for good Sheriff tales with all the stylistic features of hard-boiled that John outlines, and more importantly the fundamental moral ambiguity that characterizes such hard-boiled tales.

    Lawrence Coates's mention of the Sheriff in LADY IN THE LAKE is a great example. Can you think of others where a character like that would be the protagonist? And while John may be open to any time period, I"m still hoping for tales written, or set, between 1940-1955.

    Thanks again,

    Shannon www.noircast.net