RARA-AVIS: Best Sheriff Mysteries (was "western vs noir, cowboy vs private eye")

From: Shannon Clute (clute@noircast.net)
Date: 11 Jul 2009

    This thread has made me realize that I haven't read enough fiction that walks that western/noir tightrope.

    I'm especially interested in finding titles written or set between 1940 and 1955, featuring a rural sheriff as the protagonist (such as Jim Thompson--a personal favorite--but perhaps where the Sheriff has a few more redeeming qualities).

    Suggestions?

    Thanks a lot,

    Shannon Clute www.noircast.net