RE: RARA-AVIS: westner vs noir, cowboy vs private eye

From: Mark Sullivan (DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 05 Jul 2009

    Bengt, You will definitely want to check out John Cawelti's Adventure, Mystery, and Romance: Formula Stories as Art and Popular Culture. He traces the PI genre back to Cooper's Leatherstocking tales: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/presssite/metadata.epl?mode=synopsis&bookkey=92944 You might also want to check out his earlier Six-Gun Mystique. I haven't read the revised "sequel," but the original was one of the first things I read on genre and quite impressed my thinking: http://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/1095.htm And I seem remember William Ruehlman's Saint with a Gun: The Unlawful Private Eye touching on his western roots: http://www.amazon.com/Saint-Gun-Unlawful-American-Private/dp/0814773931 Mark