RARA-AVIS: Re: P.M. Hubbard

From: foxbrick (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
    <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

    > The other day I unboxed a bunch of Detective Club triples. I picked
    up
    > one that had a Thomas Dewey novel, and the same volume had Hubbard's
    > novel _The Tower_. I had never read this author, and I found his
    style
    > and the story very interesting. I looked up information about him and
    > he is officially considered an author of Gothics. This particular
    > novel has noir elements and makes me very curious about the rest of
    > his novels.

    Hubbard as Gothic writer? Maybe that's how he made most of his bread, but I know of him mostly as a writer in the next field over, horror fiction, leaning in the ghost story direction...which means that supermarket gothics of the 1960s might not be too hard to make a living at, for him.

    Todd Mason, returning from the nether realms