Re: RARA-AVIS: Changing standards for masculinity (behavioral, not just muscle)

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Mar 2008

How about the "behavioral" changes in masculinity, say, among the PIs and other heroes of hardboiled land? Me, I think Ross Macdonald gave the kiss of death to the macho warrior, at least in the PI subgenre.

Have we come a long way from Three Gun Terry, Cardigan and Mike Hammer? I somehow doubt that those types of operatives would go over well today.

Overall, I think crime writing has gotten much more realistic, in a sense, it is much better today - not to deny the attractions of the older, pulp-style heroes, of which I'm a great fan and will always remain so.

Best,

mrt