Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir sf: Leigh Brackett: Moore

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2007

Cooper is not a great American writer.He was one of the first American writers, which is why he is famous. The quality of his work doesn't really enter into it. Hawthorne and Melville Yes. Poe, Yes. I'll even make room for Henry James, if someone wants to make a case for it, but Cooper, no. Unreadable is the word that comes to mine. Few things have left me with such a visceral negative reaction as reading parts of The Deerslayer in college. Unlike the other writers I've mentioned, I'm certain no one could sit down and read him today purely for pleasure. So, it doesn't matter what his themes were. He fails the test of time.