RARA-AVIS: Algis Budrys's noir sf

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Oct 2007

At least the impressive HARD LANDING and the brilliant ROGUE MOON
(later republished under his preferred title THE DEATH MACHINE), a Gold Medal original as were several of his others, qualify, as would, I'd suggest, his weakest novel I've read (and usually cited as such by others), MAN OF EARTH. WHO? is a metaphorical suspense/near-future sf as is MICHAELMAS. I have yet to read the other early novels or the mid- career THE IRON THORN (which Gold Medal retitled THE AMSIRS AND THE IRON THORN...was GM always so meddlesome with titles?), but his short fiction is often relevant here, including such straightforward suspense fiction as "The Master of the Hounds."

Todd Mason