Re: RARA-AVIS: Before 1920

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Oct 2007

Mark wrote:

No Poe? Have you read Cawelti's Adventure, Mystery and Romance
(those words may actually be in a different order)? He addresses some of the things you say at the end of your post.

*************** Oh yeah. I reread some Poe and added a few new ones. That post was just a quick and dirty rundown. I left out a lot. Like Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Machiavelli's Prince. You are right, though. I should have mentioned Poe. The Fall of the House of Usher is noirish. Gothic. The Black Cat is a new one that definitely weighed in on the noir side.
 Message in a Bottle seemed a play on Ancient Mariner, but not very exciting beyond that. I think Poe has been a major influence on American literature.

And thank you for the Cawelti reference. I haven't read it. I'll look for it.

miker