RARA-AVIS: Re: Books by the pound

From: Curt Purcell ( curtpurcell@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> It's happened to me, personally. 3 agents and 1
> publisher told me, this is a good idea but it's 42,000
> words. Rewrite it for 80,000 and we may be able to
> sell it. I of course, being me, said 'The great old
> books didn't have to be 80,000 words.' The one agent
> who was still kind enough to respond to that stupid
> e-mail of mine, said short books do not work in todays
> market.

Damn--so 80,000 is the new 60,000?!? Someone speculated a while ago that page counts are inflating to justify suggested retail prices, and this discussion does remind me a bit about that piece of conventional wisdom (not sure if it's true or not, but sounds likely!) that restaurant portion sizes are getting bigger to justify higher prices.