Re: RARA-AVIS: Spade falling in love

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2007

I trust you're NOT arguing that because the info came from Guttman, Brigid was NOT dangerous. Spade had every reason to doubt everything everyone in this novel told him. Of all the characters, however, Guttman has a selective sense of ethics. His psychosis is interestingly portrayed. I believe he was based on the popular image of Aleister Crowley, an English occultist and Masonic history buff who was much in the news at the time Falcon was written. Guttman sort of predates Hannibal Lecheter, who thinks nothing of killing people but would never be rude. Spade certainly knows Brigid is dangerous by the time of Guttman's warning. That's also how Bogart plays it, too. He reads the line "dangerous?" very sarcastically.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. http://sims.yahoo.com/