RARA-AVIS: Thin Man, Hammett and drinking

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 05 Oct 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> --- Chuck <chuckelp@...> wrote:
> I couldn't get past the first 5 pages of Thin
> > Man -- every body
> > had to have a drink in their hand. Dumb.
>
> But that's how it was during the roaring twenties.
> That's the point of the book. If you don't understand
> the history of the story, of course you're not going
> to get it. It's not the book that's dumb.

That's also how it was in Hammett's household. The Thin Man was loosely based on Hammett's relationship with Lillian Hellman and drinking was one of his hobbies, you could almost call it a passion.

Hammett nearly died on different occasions from his binge drinking.

So I'm guessing Hammett didn't imagine all of those martini parties in the book, he lived them.

--chan