Re: RARA-AVIS: The Conversation

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Oct 2007

--- "Stephen D. Rogers" < cc_sdr633@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing people's
> thoughts on noir as it relates to
> THE CONVERSATION, with Gene Hackman.

While I don't believe there is what most people call neo-noir, there is a post-noir. A film that continues in the tradition but expands upon the view in a more modern way. THE CONVERSATION is one of those films as is Godard's BREATHLESS and Melville's SAMURAI. While the two French films continue to the ineluctable tragic end, the Coppola film ends with the unsettling realization that the character is trapped by his own device and he will never be the same.

That's my opinion and that's the only way I know how to say it. It may not be noir in the real sense of the word (and I'm using the original French definition and not that sloppy and vague nonsense that followed all the misunderstanding of what the critics didn't say) but what makes THE CONVERSATION so good is that it doesn't seem to follow precepts or design demands
(like the completely retro Coen Brothers film THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE). Whatever it is, THE CONVERSATION is a damn fine film.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC