RARA-AVIS: Re:The Gun Seller

From: Channing Kapin ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 03 Oct 2007

I read the Gun Seller years ago. I've mostly forgotten about it. When I read it years ago I felt it wasn't as funny nor as noir-ish as it should be. I was expecting a hilarious genre parody but found it a mediocre pastiche. It does get good towards the end.

I say "mostly forgotten" because I do remember one funny scene. The protagonist is tailing a suspect. He declares "The easiest way to tail someone is to know where he's going and get there first." Then he precedes to track the guy by staying 10 steps in front of him.

If the whole book was written like this I would heartily recommend it.

--Chan