RARA-AVIS: James M. Cain

From: Chuck Emerson ( chuckelp@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 26 Sep 2007

just finished reading The Butterfly.............. reprinted by Vintage in Three from Cain.......... therein is printed a preface Cain wrote to The Butterfly. Read like his version of On Writing. six pages well worth the stopping by to see him separate himself humbly from Hemingway and shrug off any resemblance to Hammett ("I've only read 20 pages of him in my life....") I particularly liked his call for fiction writers to dispense with "hesaid"
  I still like Double Indemnity the best.