Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis and jazz influence

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton" <tieresias@...> wrote:

> Richard Moore wrote:
>
> "I always thought Charles Mingus could have done a great noir
soundtrack."

> I saw the Mingus Big Band at UNLV when I was teaching in Vegas a few
years back. When I heard "II BS," I immediately thought: "50s, soundtrack for some sort of drama." I can definitely imagine it as the title theme for a period piece from back then.

The Mingus sound was very visceral, very contrasted, with always a hint of turmoil. I don't know that he ever did a soundtrack, but the idea is interesting. Maybe one of the younger directors, or perhaps Scorsese, will use Mingus in a future movie. It would be nice. Mingus's studio recordings don't totally capture what you can hear in his concert performances (Town Hall, for example).

Best,

mrt