RARA-AVIS: Re: Torture Porn

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jul 2007

William,

Re your question below:

"That *is* a joke. Right?"

Joke? I was speaking EX CATHEDRA when I made my proclamations ("tough and colloquial" and "dark and sinister" are not quite long enough, after all, to be properly referred to as "encyclicals"), therefore the question is, now and forever, closed.

Of course, I recognize that there are still some misguided souls who resist the notion of my infallibility, but the protestants were wrong several hundred years ago, and those misguided souls are wrong now.

I have spoken and the matter is now settled.

In all seriousness, no one has offered up better definitions. Except for Jack Bludis, all anyone has done is essentially say, "That's too broad" or "That's too narrow" or "That doesn't seem right" without offering workable alternatives. And Jack's definitions, "tough" and "screwed," are simultaneously too broad and too narrow.

On this list, Jim Blue once complimented me by saying:

". . . it certainly meets the criteria of a good definition - it is precise, clear, simple, easy to apply, and it covers most (or all) of the class under consideration, and few (or none) of those who fall outside the class."

Come up with definitions that include more of the class under consideration, and exclude more of those that fall outside of the class, and I'll embrace it.

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool. http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/