RARA-AVIS: Re: The Peddler by Richard Prather

From: mmiano3 ( mark.miano@nbc.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

Charles wrote:
>"It's a commonplace to lament the degraded state of
>popular culture and to complain about increasing vulgarity,
>sexualization and so forth -- but based on at least some of the
>evidence I've seen, in some ways people are more uptight today than
>they were fifty years ago.

I agree - especially after reading this review in the NY Times's for a new DVD box set called "TCM Archives - Forbidden Hollywood Collection, Vol 1."

"Before Hollywood began serious enforcement of the puritanical Production Code in 1934, the studios were astonishingly free to treat adult themes in adult terms. This two-disc box revives a much-missed series started back in the days of VHS with three exemplary pre-Code pictures, including both the pre- and post-censorship versions of Alfred E. Green's jaw-dropping "Baby Face" of 1933, starring Barbara Stanwyck as a mill-town tramp who sleeps her way to the top at a Manhattan bank. The cut version is a shocker in itself; the uncensored version, discovered in the archives of the Library of Congress, is even more cynical and deliciously sordid."

Based on that review by Dave Kehr, I ordered the set as a gift for my uncle.

Mark