RARA-AVIS: HOLLYWOODLAND Redux

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Sep 2006

I'm back again.

I liked Brian Thornton's review, and I might have seen it the same way he did if the Simo Story had been the more obviously the thrust of the film. It would have been better for the Reeves back story to be left on the cutting room floor. I think they were borrowing from this new technique in crime TV, where the recreate what the investigator imagined must have happened. I didn't like it on TV and I didn't like it here.

Brian's comments on the relationship between Simo and ex are right on target, but as the movie was set up they gave us a choice of stories to care about rather than give us one the we were supposed to care about and there just wasn't enough of that to make the Simo story work for me.

I agree with his comments about the excellent acting of Bob Hoskins.

It's interesting how people can see the same thing and come to different conclusion. As example, the old Siskel and Ebert. I usually agreed with Siskel and not with Ebert, but if they both liked a movie, I usually liked it.

I was also interested in the comments here on THE BLACK DAHLIA too. To Vicki's questions, I have no answers. There were some things I missed too. The movie was visually so stunning that I want to see it again and soon and I'll also try to find some answers in the book, which I am now rereading.

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com
*Shadow of the Dahlia* available at MysteryLovesCompany.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)