RARA-AVIS: Re: Spillane and misogyny

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2006

William,

Re your comments below:

> However, as one with both personal and professional knowledge of
> segments of the Cal "culture" of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, I
can
> say with certainty that there were significant people within the
> Political Science and Asian Studies areas that would be shocked to
> know they are linked with pro-Marxist thoughts, namely well-known
> conservative academics such as Robert Scalapino, Chalmers Johnson
and
> Karl Jackson. Too bad some people seek to paint things they,
> supposedly, know with too broad a brush.

There were non-Marxists in Philosphy, and Sociology, and Econ, too, as well as the Liberal Arts.

But,I'm talking about a general trend, and I thought that was clear.

It was also meant to be, to a degree, tongue in cheek. Cal has a stereotypical rep, after all. To a degree, the stereotype reflects the reality, is, in effect, an exaggeration of the reality. It's like the guy who say he doesn't know the rules of Poker because he grew up in Cleveland. Well, that may be too obscure. It's like assuming all Britons know the rules of Cricket and all Americans the rules of baseball. It's largely true, but it's also a stereotype for which there are many exceptions, but the stereotype can be used toungue-in-cheek.

I was at Cal for seven years (I remember being a junior; it was three of the best years of my life), and my association of Cultural Elitism with the Left, and the Left with Marxism, comes from experience. It's anecdotal, and, as I said, I'm even aware of exceptions myself. But citing some exceptions doesn't make the general trend any less true.

JIM DOHERTY