RARA-AVIS: 'Blonde Lightning: A Novel'

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 27 Nov 2005

I confess I have been remiss of late. Like evry teacher, I have been so swamped with grading tests & essays that I hardly read the newspaper let alone lift my head.

Today I found in the Los Angeles Times a review of "Blonde Lightning: A Novel" by Terrill Lee Lankford, a rara-avian. It is listed in the Book Review as a Special to The Times, and any time TL is praised is Special.

http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-et-book22nov22,0,549265.story?coll=cl-books-util

This review, by Paula L. Woods, says,

"the novel "Blonde Lightning" (is) not just another dose of murderous mayhem but a deeper and more disturbing meditation on Mark's love-hate relationship with the film industry."

Woods continues:
"Originally envisioned with "Earthquake Weather" as one volume, "Blonde Lightning" stands on its own as a wicked cool read and further solidifies the early praise about Lankford as a latter-day successor to Nathanael West and Raymond Chandler."

Go for it, folks. "Blonde Lightning" like "Earthquake Weather" is cool.

And that's not me talking.