RARA-AVIS: Lost and Crumley

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Nov 2005

> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:54:53 -0800
> From: Kevin Burton Smith < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com>
> Subject: Crawling from the Wreckage
>

> fred wrote:
>
> > "THIS SEASON, the TV drama "Lost" will make pop culture history when it
> > becomes the first show ever to have a character write a book in the
> > real
> > world."
>
> And Mark pointed out (once again beating me to the punch):
>
> > That's crap, that this is the first time. Wasn't Lawrence Block's
> > Markham novel originally credited to the titular TV character? I also
> > seem to remember seeing some Jessica Fletcher novels in stores.
>
> Yeah, and I'm sure there's others. But hey, most people that write PR
> are about twelve (writing for eleven year olds), so you have to forgive
> them for not knowing anything that happened more than two TV seasons
> ago.
>
> > Any idea who therea author is?
>
> Hmmm... Max Allan Collins and Stuart Kaminsky have CSI series going
> (and Kaminsky did a few ROCKFORD FILE novels), Lee Goldberg is doing
> MONK and DIAGNOSIS MURDER.
>
> I wonder who's next. James Crumley doing VERONICA MARS?
>
> Kevin

The writing of books based on TV series is a long and honorable tradition. What I think the deal is with LOST is something a ittle different. A few episodes back the doctor and the hot girl discovered a copy of some real book in a bunker on the island and the sales of the book spiked in this, the so-called real world. So, publishing being what it is today, the idea is that a LOST character will be writing a book in the series that will actually be published. I'm not sure how that is going to be justified, storywise, since, as we all know, nobody's getting off that island to submit any manuscripts. Still, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the book becomes an Oprah pick.

> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:58:46 -0800
> From: "Jim Beaver" < jumblejim@prodigy.net>
> Subject: James Crumley's Western
>
> The episode we're currently shooting is directed by Tim Hunter (RIVER'S
> EDGE, TEX). He told me that he'd spent the summer shooting a low-budget
> Western, financed entirely by the three actresses who play the leads, sort
> of a throwback to the Randolph Scott-type picture of the Fifties. He said
> it had a good story but a lousy script and so he talked his old friend James
> Crumley into doing a page-one rewrite. He said this is the first time
> anyone's ever gotten script material out of Crumley.

Crumley and I shared an agent a while back and from her office I snagged a script he'd written based on Dancing Bear. It's packed away under about 1000 lbs of my own unproduced scripts, but I could almost swear that Tim Hunter was the co-writer.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> AIDS in India: A "lurking bomb." Click and help stop AIDS now. http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpTY2A/lzNLAA/yQLSAA/kqIolB/TM