Re: RARA-AVIS: Unreliable narrator

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 16 Nov 2005

I never could understand people's love of The English Patient, and I think most of them didn't read it, but think it sounds intellligent to say so, as you imply. Maybe they saw the movie. So I don't think those people are good judges. I don't recall it ever being mentioned by anybody involved in creative writing. However, I can't say too much about it's literary value, or lack of, since I couldn't get past a few chapters myself. I've heard the same criticism about Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake, of course, and I wouldn't start ripping those classics. I do think there's a place for non-traditional style, even if it is hard to deal with. Writers have to experiment because they are creative people and get tired of the same old traditional style and technique, no matter that it works the best. John Barth comes to mind as someone who wrote great novels until he went too far in order to keep being creative--in my opinion. However, Ondaatje (Thanks for the spelling.) can be a wonderful writer. He has a much better book called Running in the Family, a fiction/autobiography that never gets mentioned. Chance and Hollywood both have major roles in what makes money. Vicki