Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Manchette- and French words

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 04 Nov 2005

Mark,

Anyway, IN FRENCH saying of somebody he's a "bricoleur" carries always a very negative sense, meaning that this person does not do what must be done, acting on things he does not master or understand... etc. This word is then also contemptuous. One exception: "bricoleur de g鮩e", which means that with very few means, or knowledge, someone achieved something really well done, exceptional (as from a genius).

But literally, in its direct sense, one can be a real "bricoleur" if one does real DIY, for hobbies, homes etc. thus manipulating real things, matters and tools. Then the meaning is just what it says. Doing it is doing "bricolage", in its original sense.

So qualifying ideas as "bricolage" is also ALWAYS negative (in French).

Hope this helps.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384 POLAR NOIR http://www.geocities.com/polarnoir

DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net :