RARA-AVIS: Bruen's The Magdalen Martyrs

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 17 Mar 2005

While in England over Christmas, I tracked down a copy of The Magdalen Martyrs, which was published in 2003. I had read both The Guards and The Killing of the Tinkers and I enjoyed them both and I also had read two of The White Trilogy. With Bruen now in the US promoting the the American release of The Magdalen Martyrs, I pulled it off the shelf and read it this week. This one I just don't get as it's basically 308 pages of nothing. Please don't ask me to explain my reaction in more depth because I can't. I'll be surprised if it's a big success and sells well.

I have a couple of questions for the UK members of this list. It seemed that the UK release didn't get much publicity and the book was difficult to find. I eventually found a copy in a large store in York and the only other copy I spotted was in Murder One in London. Only two copies for a writer supposedly as popular as Bruen after the success of The Guards and no sign of it in the large chains such as WH Smith and Waterstones. How was it received in the UK and is The Dramatists closer in quality to The Guards and Tinkers? And can someone explain to me what I missed in the Magdalene Martyrs?

Kent Morgan

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM